Happy National Grilled Cheese Month!! Well, happy last day of national grilled cheese month! I’m getting this one in just under the wire. But, I promise you, this sandwich is well worth the whole month I made you wait.
This is a tasty, healthy and super FAST breakfast. It’s so fast and easy that you can hit the snooze button 5 times, take a long shower and STILL have time to make this sandwich before you leave for work. Yes, it is slightly more time consuming than pouring a bowl of cereal, but WAAAAY more satisfying. While your coffee is brewing, whip up this sandwich.
You probably can tell from my Frittata post that I LOVE EGGS! The more ways to eat eggs, the better. This sandwich has lots of things I love in it. Eggs, apples, cheese, but more importantly, it has a flavor profile that I love: sweet and salty. Sweet, tart, crunchy apple with salty sharp melty cheese and a salty fried egg. MMMMmmm
The other GREAT thing about this sandwich is you only need 4 ingredients. That’s right, only FOUR.
1. Egg 2. Bread 3. Cheese 4. Apple
+ Salt/pepper/butter or cooking spray – these are freebies
I really outdid myself with the simplicity this time : )
So let’s get cracking on making this sandwich.
First prep your sandwich with cheese and 4 relatively thin slices of apple
Next, fry up your egg. I chose to make a fried egg “over hard” for this sandwich, and then fold it to make it “sandwich friendly”. Over hard eggs hold together nicely, and you can keep the yolk a little soft, but not runny, if you like, by cooking it a little less (this is how I like it). If you make your egg “over easy” the egg will run when you put it in the sandwich and grill the cheese.
To fry up the egg, first spray a frying pan with nonstick cooking spray (or you can use butter) and heat up the pan on low-medium heat. **I usually crack my egg into a cup, and then gently pour it from the cup into a frying pan, this prevents the yolk from breaking and accidentally mixing up the white (scrambling). The egg should sizzle a little when you pour it in. If it isn’t, just turn up the heat on your burner. Cook the egg on medium heat until the white on top is solid. Then flip the egg over and cook it on the other side for about a minute or 2 until the yolk is soft but solid. Then I fold the egg in half – fold one white side over to the other to cover the yolk (see below). This makes the egg a nice sandwich size
I squished my egg a little when I flipped it over in the pan and the yolk was not solid – and some yolk ran a little. But, hey, my food isn’t pretty like a picture, but it’s pretty damn delicious. When the yolk is cooked to how you like it, remove the egg from the pan and place the folded egg on top of the apples on your bread and top the egg with more cheese.
Now comes the familiar grilled cheese part. Place the sandwich back in the frying pan on medium heat. Gently press your sandwich down into the pan to help melt the cheese. You don’t need to squish the sandwich, just give it a nice, loving press. Cook on that side till the bread is a toasty color. Then carefully flip the sandwich and repeat loving press on the other side.
The crunchy, sweetness of the apple gives a nice texture and flavor contrast to the melty, salty cheese and the tender fried egg.
Cut sandwich in half and dig in! This is your new, quick power breakfast! YUM!
Serving size: 1 Sandwich
- 1 large Egg
- 2 slices of bread (I used wheat bread)
- ¼ of Granny smith Apple (4 thin slices)
- ½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- generous pinch salt and pepper
- Spread cheddar cheese on one side of the bread and add 4 thin slices of Granny Smith apple
- Prepare a frying pan by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray and heat on low-medium heat
- Crack egg in a cup and pour egg into heated pan and fry egg on one side until whites are solid
- Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper to the egg
- Flip egg over, cook for about 1-2 minutes, until yolk is solid, but soft. (Test by pressing with your finger)
- Folded in half and remove egg from pan and place on top of apples and cheese.
- Add more cheese to the top of egg and top with other slice of bread
- Place sandwich in frying pan used to fry egg, and grill sandwich on medium heat. Press sandwich down with metal spatula to melt cheese – cook for about 1 minute – or until browned. *if pan is dry, add more cooking spray or butter before grilling the sandwich
- Repeat on other side
- Slice up and enjoy, cheesy, eggy, apply goodness!
*To make this sandwich more decadent, pan fry the egg in a tablespoon of butter (instead of cooking spray) and add more butter to the pan before grilling the sandwich.
Recipe Source: deliciousinadash.wordpress.com