Happy Valentine’s Day! Time to mix it up with a sweet treat!
I LOVE s’mores. They’re gooey and chocolatey. The flavor combination of marshmallow, chocolate and graham is one my favorites. I’ll eat anything s’mores – s’mores ice cream, s’mores cake, s’mores candy, s’mores cereal (remember Smorz?!)… you get the idea. There is just something about toasty marshmallows, melty chocolate and graham cracker that just make the perfect dessert for me. MMMmmm! My mouth is watering just thinking about these cookie bars!
These bars are made with Biscoff spread, aka cookie butter. If you have never tried Biscoff, it is a creamy spread made from Belgian Biscoff cookies – which are shortbread cookies that have a hint of graham taste mixed with a little cinnamon. I know this sounds weird, a creamy spread made from cookies, but it’s not. It’s the most delicious thing that comes in a jar, which is why I had to make some treats with it. 1. To make a DELICIOUS dessert 2. To use it up so I wouldn’t keep eating it straight out the jar with a spoon. ACK! I usually have pretty good self control, but this is my kryptonite. Seriously.
And if you’re wondering, yes, I ate this whole spoonful after I took the photo.
These bars are so great not only because they’re SO moist, chewy, toasty marshmallow-y and chocolatey, but because they’re super simple to put together! No mixer is needed! AND, unlike standard S’mores, no individual serving assembly required – No fighting over the fire to roast your marshmallows and no sticky fingers. You’re welcome.
Definitely Delicious in a DASH!
1. Combine all the wet ingredients and then stir in the Biscoff spread (Cookie Butter) 2. Add in the dry ingredients and 3. Fold in until well combined 4. Add in the chocolate chips and marshmallows 5. Toss it all in a baking dish lined with parchment paper 6. Smoosh it down and throw a few more marshmallows on top. Then pop it in the oven – and you are 25 minutes away from Heaven.
Make this for your sweety for Valentines Day. Or better yet, Treat Yo Self!
My taller half loves cheesecake – so I made him some special cheesecake bars for Valentine’s Day (stay tuned for the recipe!), but I’ll be making THESE for myself. Who says you can’t have a whole 8×8 pan of cookie bars for yourself?
Stretchy, toasty marshmallow, and melty chocolate with a chewy, moist graham center. Yep. make these for yourself.
Happy Valentine’s Day, YOU. Wonderful, Beautiful YOU.
Yield: 16 bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Biscoff spread (or Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows + an extra handful for the top
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray
- In a medium bowl, stir together the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar together until combined and then add the eggs and the vanilla. Stir in the Biscoff spread. Stir until mixture is well combined
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix – I usually fold with a rubber spatula to ensure that I don’t overmix. The batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallows and “dump” the batter into a prepared baking dish. Then press down the batter so that it is even throughout the baking dish and top with reserved marshmallows. Gently press down the marshmallows.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes. The bars will appear very soft and look under done but they will firm up as they cool. Allow the bars to cool completely- about 3 hours – before cutting into squares. *I know this is TORTUROUS but if you don’t wait, they will be too mushy and fall apart and you’ll need a spoon. Totally feel free to eat them with a spoon 🙂
Cookie bars stay fresh for a week when stored in a sealed container at room temperature.